Charles Countryman wrote:

> But how do you measure when you suspect that mental processing is
> slowing down, vocabulary may be regressing, or other "higher level"
> functions may be impaired?

We need to do some research as to what are the general cognitive
changes due to aging, so as to not confuse them with PD, and then
what psychologists have identified as "cognitive deficits" of PD.
But what if they haven't all been identified? And how do we
distinguish the PD component of those results of aging which are
intensified by PD?

Also, assuming there is such a test, at what intervals do you take
it so as to show significantly different results?  Also, how would
the results be affected by the hour by hour changes that can occur
depending on medication schedules?

I have read that with PD there is a change in ability to estimate
time.  This is also age-related.   Time passes more quickly than we
perceive it (or is it more slowly? - see next paragraph).  This is
because the substantia nigra is involved in time perception.

I experience greater difficulty in dealing with logical relationships
as illustrated by giving an explanation of "spring forward, fall
back".

I also experience a decrease in ability to concentrate unless I am
well motivated internally.  It's harder to keep focused on tedious
tasks.  Some of this is due to fatigue from not enough sleep.

I also experience difficulty in short-term memory retention - e.g.,
not forgetting a phone number I just looked up before I dial it.**

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9

** A while ago I saw someone with a tee shirt that said "I have CRS
(can't remember sh..)".  I asked him where he got it.  He couldn't
remember.