From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Bruce Anderson
Sent:   Thursday, May 14, 1998 7:21 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Fw:      Re: Social Security Disability

 THERE IS NOTHING IN HERE MOST OF YOU  DON'T ALREADY KNOW.  I WOULD  HAVE
OFFERED  THIS STUFF DIRECTLY TO THE PERSON INQUIRING BUT I DON'T KNOW  WHO
IT IS.

Dear ?
I was SET NOMAIL when you sent this in so I don't know who you are but I
have a couple of suggestions.

It sounds to me like there is no way you don't qualify for both your LTD
policy and SSDI !

The LTD individual policy - STORKIE1 can probably give you a better answer
but here's my experience.
By, "I must meet a 'regular occupation' definition," do you mean you have
what is called an "Own Occupation" policy?  It sounds like it.  If so,
here's what happened to me with mine.  I was between jobs when I applied for
it.  I filled out their forms listing as my occupation the profession I'd
been in for the previous 25 years, commercial real estate finance.  I then
explained why I couldn't do it anymore: Can't work in an office because of
difficulty walking around desks, etc.; can't negotiate anymore (speech,
decreased cognitive abilities); can't attract clients because of poor
appearance and demeanor (drooling, speech, gait); need to nap frequently.

 I  was between jobs at the time. The insurer tried a brief end run by
saying, Nooo, the occupation you are engaged in while making this claim (or,
when the disability began) is that of an Unemployed Person - explain how you
can't fulfill THAT occupation. Ha! Ha!   I wrote back and said, Fine. The
duty of an Unemployed Person is to take job interviews. I can't do it
because - and then I listed the exact reasons mentioned above  all over
again.  They approved the claim without anything more said.

I hope this tactic works for you if this is the type of situation you are
in.  Everyone,  even the unemployed and/or disabled, has a "regular
occupation."  Being unemployed is an occupation, which is, by definition,
whatever occupies your time.  If they hadn't caved I was going to sue them,
although I would have had to get a lawyer on a non-contingency basis. But as
STORKE1 said at the time, advising me not to hire one initially, most LTD
insurers are not in the business of denying claims.
You should  immediately hire one  just to fill out the forms, though, if you
can't get someone to do it for you, because unlike SSDI they don't  pay
retroactively. Every month you delay is $ down the drain.

SSDI - If you don't qualify given that  description of your symptoms - it's
your fault !!!  Here is what you should do - just fill out those forms any
old way the best you can.   Just get them completed enough so the claim
doesn't come back incomplete.  Wait 2 months after you get turned down and
then  hire one of the SSDI help firms (send me an e-mail and I'll give you
some names). They are only allowed by law to be paid if you win, and then
only out of the back benefits you get.  So they don't want to hear from you
too early in the process.   With the right firm, you claim sounds like a
true no-brainer. I know 2 people who together don't have half your symptoms
who got approved.  In one case it took the firm fighting them for 2 years
but it did get approved.  He got back benefits in 5 figures.  The firm got,
I think, $4,000 of that, but he's still way ahead and  now gets his check
every month and  immediately qualified for Medicare.    Hope this helps.