In a message dated 5/14/98 8:38:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
      Just as scientists have little use for anecdote, Visco,
 adopting the stringency of a corporate boardroom/lab bench
 hybrid, relies solely on being so thoroughly versed in the
 latest data on cancer, and so intimately acquainted with the
 needs of breast cancer patients that scientists would be
 foolish not to seek NBCC's input when designing clinical
 trials. "We're partners and collaborators with research
 scientists," she stated. "We can help design research
 protocols and proposals. We really do know what we're talking
 about -- we don't just bang the table and scream. We consider
 ourselves responsible activists."

OK, that's a great way to be.however...
How did all of these marvelous AIDS and breast cancer advocates get so well
educated?  Why can't we do so?

For years, some of us have complained that our scientific community has been
inaccessible to us in the trenches.  Without knowing what is actually going on
out there, we are left to advocate "pigs in pokes" --which (rightly) do not
sell well on Capitol Hill . Thank heaven for Dr Lieberman.

Then there is also the problem that our well reasoned letters seem to go into
a "fer 'it" or "agin it" pile

Given fist banging or doing nothing, however, I choose the former. I AM TIRED
OF HAVING THIS STUPID DISEASE,

Regards
WHH 54/18