Date sent:              Wed, 27 May 1998 03:53:15 +0200
Send reply to:          "Parkinson's Information Exchange" <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Hans van der Genugten <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: falling
To:                     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>

 Hello Barbara,

 Mon, 25 May 1998 16:00, Barbara Duffin-Bates <[log in to unmask]>, wrote:

 >My husband  (aged 57, PD 14 years) takes only sinement and
 >eldepryl.  He takes 3 100/25 tablets each day, broken in half,
 >each dose taken 2 hours apart.

 A) Compared with other PWP for 14 years a relatively low dose.

 >He has always had a difficult time smoothing out his dosage
 >levels.  He will peak about 1 hour after taking a dose, be "on"
 >for maybe 25 minutes, then be off again.

 B) Peaking after 1 hour is normal with CR, but 25 min "on" is short.

   A + B together suggest he might be UNDER-medicated, however....

 >When he is off, he is very slow and stiff but at least he is
 >relatively safe.  When "on", he is very diskenetic and often
 >falls, sometimes badly.  He NEVER falls when he is off.

 C) ...........dyskinetic when "on" suggests he is OVER-medicated.
 D) falling can have several reasons:
    1) caused by the dyskinetic movements he looses his balance
    2) caused by side-effects of the Sinemet (e.g. dizzyness) or of
       the eldepryl, or the combination of these two.
    3) caused by low bloodpressure and/or static hypotension (= a sudden
       going down of the bloodpressure after getting up from lying down or
       standing straight after bending over).

 >I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon
 >of falling only when on.

 E) you didn't mention a tremor. No tremor can mean he might have
    Parkinsonism instead of classic PD.
    I know several PWP, who have Parkinsonism. They fell a lot when
    they were using medication(s). After they stopped taking the meds
    the falling stopped (after a few weeks).

 >I might also add, for those interested in amantadine, Iain did
 >try this some years ago.  He said that he did feel better on it,
 >but it made him hallucinate.  That was not much fun and we
 >took him off.

 Concluding: your husband is feeling better in the periods he takes no
             meds than in the periods that he does take his pills!
             Being stiff seems to be a better choice than frequently falling.

 My suggestion would be:
 1) consider the possibility of Parkinsonism.
 2) consult your neurologist and discuss a try-out-period of 3 months
    without meds (or first 3 months without one and than 3 without the other)
 3) if that doesn't improve the falling or worsens his other symptoms,
    consider switching to other meds.

 IMPORTANT: Don't take my word for it! I'm just another PWP puzzeling
            along. Always consult your neurologist before making any
            changes in your meds!!

 Greetings,  Hans.  44/dx5/eldepryl.

Barbara Duffin-Bates
Program Support