From: Alastair Wyse <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, May 23, 1998 2:08 AM
Subject: Re: Estimating time

> From:          Stephan Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Estimating time

> John - you asked:
> time (how long something will take to get done), or if anyone
> can offer further evidence or documentation of this
> phenomenon<<<
> John Bachman
>
> John:
>      The human brain has an internal system for measuring
> the passage of time.  The system involves the substantia
> nigra and the brain striatum.  Both of these areas are
> implicated in PD.  The neurotransmission of dopamine acts
> to push the watch forward.  Lesions of the substantia nigra
> and/or the striatum slow or stop the timekeeping system.
> Levodopa has been shown to restore an accurate sense of
> time.
>      For more info read: Science magazine, 1996, issues 271
> and 272.
>    Stephan 53/7

Hi
  In my assessment of the use of potasium as a diet supplement
posted a few weeks ago . I state that one of the effects of increase
potasium levels is that time appears to go slower . In other words
days dont slip by so quickly . This effect was entirely unexepected
and in my belief is quite pronounced . What really annoys me about
this list is that people are unwilling to try things and report if it
works for them . This list could become THE major research lab of the
world . Where alse can one find such instant access to so meny people
with PD .  Pd is a bummer of a disease but it is also an opportunity
to study how the brain works . In other words I would really
appreciate it someone else would try significantly increasing their
potatium intake and seeing if it affects their judgement on the
passage of time (as well as reducing tremor ) .
     peace
          Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )