At 01:51 PM 5/23/98 , Debbie Bell wrote:
>Thanks for the post Arthur. I feel foolish asking the group but I dont know
>how to get past posts from the list archives and would like to re. this
>subject.
>Debbie

Debbie, don't feel foolish.  A month ago, I didn't know that a sub thalamic
nucleus existed, much less what stimulation could do for it.   I still
would not recognize one if it walked up to me on the street.

It was only by going to two out-of-town seminars in the past month that I
was able to give the answer that I did.   I'm not sure that many of us
realize the potential of STN stimulation - as conceived of in the minds of
some researchers and the Medtronics people..  You have given me two more
opportunities to present this to the list.

It also gives us this food for thought: If one percent of the Parkinsonian
population in the U.S., with estimates in the one million people range,
should have this operation every year, and if Medicare pays the estimated
$40,000 cost, there is $4,000 million dollars per year that would be saved
by funding Udall in full at $100 million per year now and getting a cure.
And of course we know that this $4,000 million would be far from being the
only expense.  But it's a good example of an easy number to explain to a
lay person.

The arithmetic is left to the reader.

So Debbie - and this goes for everybody else on the list as well - don't
feel foolish asking any "on subject" question.  Somebody might just be
aching for an opportunity to answer it so that (s)he can get up on a
soapbox, address the list, and answer the question.

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377

   Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness