To Caregivers and Caregivees:
It's been a while since I was on the LIST, but I thought I would give it a try
again.  I have enjoyed going throught the batch of mail that suddenly appeared
and the wide range  of comments, questions and responses.
My wife was diagnosed with PD 18 years ago  and we certainly have been through
many phases, medications, evaluations and neurologists and have seen many
changes.  When we went to a first support group meeting PD was considered an
Orphan's disease.  Research was limited and insurance companies denied payment
in many cases.  I think when a few famous people were diagnosed with PD
attitudes started to change.  An example is the push for AIDS research when
the whole entertainment industry and others got behind it.  In our case, for
my wife's particular symptom of PD, Apomorphine (subcutaneous injection) has
been the most help. She has been on it for 2 1/2 years now without known
adverse effects.  That is along with the CR Sinemet, regular Sinemet,
Clozaril, Zoloft, Mirapex and Tasmar.  So, to Barb, the English teacher who
was so devastated about the diagnosis of her PD,  it sounds as though you ran
across some people that did you very little good.  Don't think about what
might happen but count your blessings each day for what you can do yet!  End
of sermon and monologue.

                                       Art   [log in to unmask]