Thank God for drug companies that produce product after product for the fat,
the balding and the impotent. In a world where like it or not companies MUST
make a profit, what profit is there in prioritising the development of drugs
that will be of use to a portion of 2 % of the population. None at all.  We
who suffer from minority diseases travel on the coat tails of the profits
generated by drugs produced for combating obesity, baldness, and impotence.
Of course the drug companies make profits from the drugs developed for
diseases like PD, but they are relatively slow in coming.  I suspect that
any company who put their "cash cows" on the back burner in order to
concentrate on developing drugs for PD, would soon go out of business which
will profit no-one. I am as frustrated as anyone at the pace at which we are
turning the corner around which, we are assured, lies the cure.  I have to
keep reminding myself that the phrase "round the corner" has a different
meaning for someone like a researcher viewing PD in an historical context,
than it has for someone like myself, confronted daily by the problems of
living with a debilitating, remorseless enemy.

Much as we would like it to be different we all know in our heart of hearts
that the cure for PD is not going to be here tomorrow.  The drug company
that finally makes the breakthrough is going to need to be around for the
long haul.  I wish it healthy profits so that it can devote some of them to
my problems.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/