You said          Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )

>> Since my most serious symptom is end of dose dyskinesia , I have

>>been trying various ways to relieve it  ..

>>Taurine . This is meant to be a neurotransmitter that calms the

>>nervous system down . Taking 1000 mg caps at the time of dyskinesia

>>produced no obvious improvement

 >>GABA  This is meant to be another neurotransmitter that calms the

>>nervous system down . Taking GABA plus caps (100 mg of GABA ) at the
dyskinesia time

>>produced little/no obvious improvement .

 >>GHB This is a substance that occurs naturally in the brain and its

>>function seems to be poorly understood .Taking about 1 gram of GHB

>>about dyskinesia time seemed to suppress the dyskinesia effectively .

>>I am awaiting the arrival of my second order , to make more extensive

>>trials . I also wish to try the potassium version to see how it

>>affects PD  symptoms . I will post results when trials are done .

 >> GHB has been banned in many places and unlike many substances

>>available on the Web it really has an effect . Anyone using it should

>>do it with caution  .

 >>peace

      >>    Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )

Alastair,

I  agree with you saying  the end of dose dyskinesia is the most terrible
symptom,  I know of.

Next to that is also the most neglected symptom. I have a  long history
with this symptom.

First I have been able to diminish it by following the recommendations
about med. schedules

from the Algorithm for managing Parkinson's disease. That has been amply
discussed on the list.

Becase of the diminished  symptoms I could hang on until my
pallidotomy.

The effect of the pallidotomy is a miracle as far as the treated side is
concerned, which had

the heaviest  symptoms.

But at te other side I have the symptoms yet. I do have the  impression
that taking asperine helps.

I never heard this from someone else. But it helps only, if taken in a
rather high dose, so that may

only incidentally be helpfull.. I have always  had teimpression that
theses symptoms have a resemblance to "wearing off" symptoms of diverse
dependency creating drugs. If that is  true and the same neurological
mechanisms  are responsible for it, that might give a clue for trying a
medecine.

I have also the impression from differnt mailings I got on this subject
that a "short" drugholliday for between a 1\2  to one day can do wonders
but only " temporary " and only after starting the meds again.To have
such a drugholliday is now more bearable than before my pallidotomy,
because I do have less heavy Park. symptoms too, due to my pallidotomy.
On my last visit abour six weeks ago with my neuro he said a new meds was
coming, which he thought was very  probable to help aganst wearing off
dysk. But it would not be sooner available then about 1 -11\2 year . The
name, which may differ  from the future commercial name is Idazoxan and
it is an adrenaline antagonist. A neuro on the French speaking list

told that it was used in France already and the results seemed  to be
positive. The litterature  of this symptom is scarse and the cause is not
known, it is supposed to be related to neuromodulation..That means that
some chemical has a long lasting effect on the  functioning of a
subsystem. I appreciate to be informed about the results of your
experiments. Can you tell why you expected this meds could be helpfull.

Ida Kamphuis</bigger></fontfamily>

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]