Date sent:              Mon, 25 May 1998 13:13:40 +0000
Send reply to:          "Parkinson's Information Exchange" <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Ronald F. Vetter" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: falling
To:                     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>

 >My husband  (aged 57, PD 14 years) takes only sinemet and
 >eldepryl.  He takes 3 100/25 tablets each day, broken in half,
 >each dose taken 2 hours apart.
 >
 >He has always had a difficult time smoothing out his dosage
 >levels.  He will peak about 1 hour after taking a dose, be "on"
 >for maybe 25 minutes, then be off again.

 Barbara, is it perhaps that the falling is due to loss of balance nearing
 termination of the "on" period? If engaged in activity that he can do while
 on, the slowness of balance messages might not be noticed before it is too
 late.

 300 mg is not very much levodopa. I have also 14 years of medication taking
 and use 3 25/250 tablets as 6 halves taken 2.5 to 3 hours apart plus 4 0.25
 mg Mirapex spread through the day alternating with 1st, 3rd, and 5th half,
 and the 4th just before retiring.

 I am about to go to 7 10/100 tablets which will be a little less but be a
 bit more frequent. If that is not OK I may increase the Mirapex since I am
 under the recommended dosage of that.

 Six halves at 2-hour intervals leaves 12 hours un-medicated. Is this the
 case?

 I suggest 8 halves to cover 16 hours leaving 8 to sleep - might give a
 continuous "on" if most pills are followed (30 minutes later) by a small
 snack of low protein content and small amount of food.

 Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
 [log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
 http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter