On the subject of falling.

In Parkinsonian terms I would define "falling" as festination which does
not catch up to a displaced center of gravity.  While ambulating anyone's=

center of gravity is displaced forward. What prevents us from falling
despite this forward imbalance is the continual advancement of our feet
each step serving to catch us and prevent the imbalance from accelerating=

making us fall.  If we allow the imbalance to increase then we have to
advance our feet more rapidly and this is running.  If we can't advance o=
ur
feet a far enough distance then the cadence of our steps increases as we
attempt to catch up to the imbalance.  When the strides get too short we
can't decelerate fast enough to catch up and neutralize this accelerating=

force of displaced center of gravity and then the result is a fall. =

Falling almost always occurs while "on" because while "off" gait initiati=
on
problems prevent one from walking with any volitional displacement of
center of gravity.  The environment can, however induce displacement for
example steep inclines or if someone gives the subject a shove (push/pull=

test).

So the problem becomes one of understanding how we can produce stride
length steps of sufficient length to meet the demands of the environment.=

This is where I would argue that vision plays a major role.  What you see=

or don't see can have a major impact on one's ability to generate necessa=
ry
stride length.  Try walking with your eyes closed and you will not fall o=
festinate (have a spotter on your arm to be safe).  Or try walking with
arms extended straight out and hands hyperextended so you can see your
fingernails - look at them as you walk to avoid falling.  I am currently
working on higher tech solutions.

regards,

Tom