Joao:
food supplements you wrote:
>>> Joao Paulo Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
05/22/98 05:32pm >>>
>>> 2. OTHER DRUGS/SUPPLEMENTS - .
>>> vitamins, etc. together (C & E, B-6 & Potassium) and
>>>avoid taking vitamins, etc. with other substances that
>>>block their effectiveness (antibiotics, caffeine, aspirin,
>>>iron & vitamin E together).<<<
   You replied:
>In my case I only take as supplement the vitamin E but eat
>daily 3 or 4 bananas (rich in K) to avoid cramps since I still
>am a player (almost daily) of soccer and volley-ball .
>I did not know that caffeine blocks the effectiveness of
>vitamin E etc., is it that so ? I am a heavier intaker of strong
>coffee from day to night....   :-)  (I suppose I am a addict of
it )<

Joao:
   I did not mean to convey the thought that caffeine
specifically blocks Vit. E.  However, it is known that caffeine
generally has negative effects on the body's digestive
processes.
   Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD, in her very informative book,
Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease , states that,
" . . .caffeine is an irritant . . ." causing the body to dedicate
much needed water to flush the caffeine out of the body's
cells. Caffeine thus can cause dehydration.  In addition,
caffeine can cause loss of calcium in the urine.  Also,
caffeine (as an acid) can cause heartburn or esophageal
reflux.
   The National Parkinson Foundation handbook on
Nutritional Considerations of PD , advises the decrease or
elimination of caffeine and alcohol from the PWP diet.
   Vit. E is considered an oil-soluble vit. and as such doesn't
get flushed out of the body daily.  It can be stored in the liver.
Oil-soluble vitamins are best when taken before meals.  Iron,
which oxygenates our blood and produces hemoglobin,
works well with vit. C, but interferes with vit. E absorption.
Caffeine can lead to poor digestion and iron deficiency.
B-complex vitamins help the body to absorb iron.
   Having said all this, I must confess to the occasional cup
of coffee or glass of wine or beer.  Good luck with soccer and
volleyball.
Stephan 53/7