Hi Stephan,

Thanks for  yours as usual valuable comments and keen observations .
I would like tough  to add some few remarks in some points :

Stephen Schwartz wrote:

> response to my posting regarding vitamins, minerals and
>    You replied:
> >In my case I only take as supplement the vitamin E but eat
> >daily 3 or 4 bananas (rich in K) to avoid cramps since I still
> >am a player (almost daily) of soccer and volley-ball .
> >I did not know that caffeine blocks the effectiveness of
> >vitamin E etc., is it that so ? I am a heavier intaker of strong
> >coffee from day to night....   :-)  (I suppose I am a addict of
> it )<
>
> Joao:
>    I did not mean to convey the thought that caffeine
> specifically blocks Vit. E.  However, it is known that caffeine
> generally has negative effects on the body's digestive
> processes.
>    Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD, in her very informative book,
> Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease , states that,
> " . . .caffeine is an irritant . . ." causing the body to dedicate
> much needed water to flush the caffeine out of the body's
> cells. Caffeine thus can cause dehydration.  In addition,
> caffeine can cause loss of calcium in the urine.  Also,
> caffeine (as an acid) can cause heartburn or esophageal
> reflux.

I suppose I bypass these inconveniences because in my case I usually
take  coffee with milk .  This end up that I do not have so far felt
these bad effects .

BTW do you know the historical case of twins that were condemned to life
prison in Sweden and the king to check what would be more harmful to
health if coffee or tea ordered that one would take tea and the other
coffee until the end of their lives. Well the one that was in the coffee
regimen survived his brother and died with more than 90 years old in
good health all the time .As a result coffee was approved in Sweden ,so
it is believed .

> Caffeine can lead to poor digestion and iron deficiency.

As far as I have read and by my own experience a cup of coffee ending a
meal help in a good digestion since it stimulate digestive secretions .

Having said all this I feel compelled to invite you now to share a cup
of coffee (mine with milk please )  with me  .....   :-)

Sheers,
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+