At 10:23 PM 5/27/1998 EDT, John Bachman wrote:
>Ron,
>I don't think I understand why the combination of Zoloft and Eldepryl
might be
>contraindicated.  Explain, please?
>
>I asked a knowledgeable physician from Mass General today what symptoms of PD
>he thought might be controlled by Zoloft, and he responded that he though for
>someone w/a  PD+ diagnosis, it might well be used to  control hallucinations.
>
>Regards,
>
>John Bachman

John,

I excerpted the following paragraphs from a newsletter repeated in this
listserver many moons ago.
                Ron (50/2)

Date:         Fri, 24 Nov 1995 02:23:06 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Medications in PD - II
^This is the second and last part of the City of Hope Parkinson's Newsletter
on Medications Used in Parkinson's Disease.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
AND DISCLAIMER

The information in this newsletter is provided solely for the purpose of the
general information of the reader. It is not in any respect intended as
medical advice for patients, nor does it imply treatment recommendations of
City of Hope National Medical Center or the National Parkinson's Foundation.
Some of the medications listed are not approved by the United States Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of Parkinson's disease; and/or
may not be approved for the purposes discussed; and/or may not be approved
for use within the United States. You are strongly encouraged to consult your
doctor should you have questions regarding these or other medications.
.......yada yada yada.........

SIDE EFFECTS OF SSRI ANTIDEPRESSANTS

+ Nausea, diarrhea, headache, sleepiness, loss of appetite, fatigue and
problems having an ejaculation
+ Prozac and to a lesser degree Zoloft, can cause tremor, insomnia and
anxiety.
+ If taken in the morning, Paxil and Zoloft can cause excessive sleepiness.
+ Note: On occasion these medications can actually worsen the symptoms of
Parkinson's disease or cause a sense of physical restlessness.

CONTRAINDICATIONS

When combined with Eldepryl (selegiline), these medications can uncommonly
cause a severe syndrome characterized by increased rigidity, jerking
movements of the arms and legs, agitation, confusion, restlessness, fever,
shivering and sweating ("serotonin syndrome"). The simultaneous use of these
medications and Eldepryl should be discussed with your physician.