Subj:  Join A Suport Group - Information
Date:  May 30, 1998
From:  GRR:[log in to unmask]
To:       Listserv
We have made arrangements with our family doctor and neruologist to  make
information
available  on  our  local  support group to all their patients that have
Parkinson's Disease.
Listed below is a sample of the information available.

                        Ohio Parkinsons Foundation
                     Miami County Parkinson's Suport Group
                                 Stouder Wellness Center
                                           1400 Wayne Street
                                              Troy, Oh, 45373
                                          Phone: 937/335-9355

                                 JOIN A SUPPORT GROUP

        Apart from finding a good doctor and getting regular  exercise,
support groups  may  be  the most  effective coping  strategy  around.
The psychological  boost  of finding that  you're  not alone facing  the
monster  can  literally  make  the  difference  between  giving  up and
deciding to stay involved in living in spite of the Parkinson's Disease.
Positive attitude is only one item  on the meue  for  coping  with PD.

        There are several reasons why support groups are so valuable;
First, talking about difficulties is  often  the  key  to finding solutions.
Most of us think more clearly when we  have  to  verbalize a thought.
Many times, too, feedback from another person  can  trigger  an idea
that we may not have otherwise had.  From time to  time, we  present
programs on eye care,  new  medication,  home  health  care,  speech
problems and other interested subjects.

        People in support groups routinely share  tips and  suggestions
on  little  things that help get them through the day,  practical  things
that may be the answer to nagging problems.

        The most important benefit of joining a support group falls into
the realm of the intangible. We all thrive on social interactions. With-
out it, we tend to curl up and die.  Just being in contact with others is
of inestimable value.  Add  to  this  the  rewards  we  get from helping
others cope with enormous difficulties, and you've got  a combination
or benefits that's hard to beat.

JOIN  THE  MIAMI  COUNTY  PARKINSON'S  SUPPORT  GROUP

        The  Parkinson's  Disease  support group  for  Miami  County
         meets at 1:30 P.M. the third Thursday of each odd  numbered
         month at  Stouder Wellness Center, 1400 Wayne Street, Troy,
         Oh. 45373.    For information, call  (937)335/9355