Group -

Several of you have written to request an update on how I am feeling.  As most
of you know, I had the "pig-cell" implant surgery in September of '96.  (For
new group members who are not familiar with it, please see the note at the end
of this posting.)  And, as you know, I have maintained an account of my
experiences with this highly-experimental xenotransplantation.  The results
have been posted to this ListServe every 90 days, immediately following the
quarterly evaluations in Boston.

Each exam has shown improvement over the 1 before it.  All of the motor-skill
testing (those timed checks on walking, finger-tapping, hand up/palm up, etc.)
indicate on-going enhancement.  The same is true for the ones that are not
timed, such as balance, rising from a chair, handwriting, and the like.

In spite of such obviously good news, however, I continued to have some pretty
rough days.  There were some good days, too.  But about 1 in every 3 or 4
would take "the wind out of my sails," as they say.  This is not surprising;
I've never lost sight of the fact that after 16 years of PD I was considered
an "end-case."  To have arrived at this point was rather remarkable.

Over the last 3 weeks, however, there have been what I consider to be rather
significant changes.  I have NOT had a single bad day!  It's as if the whole
curve has shifted upwards.  Now I'm having pretty good (no, not perfect) days
and better (again, not perfect) days.  The dynamics are changing.

I do not know if this will be reflected in the next battery of testing.  That
will take place in 2 weeks.  Additionally, there is the possibility that this
whole thing could be an anomaly; with a big "crash" just over the horizon.
The thought of it is very frightening.  Finally, we must remember that
"feeling better" is a highly subjective term.  It is a concept that is
difficult, at best, to measure scientifically.

So that's the latest.  I'll post another report after the next round of
examinations.

Jim Finn

Note: As always, to those of you who have not seen my diary, you may request a
copy by E-Mail.  Write directly to me; not to the ListServe.