Sat, 30 May 1998 12:13:56,  "Lanier Maddux" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My question to the list members and to whoever did this study, is "if a
>new PWP starts taking amantadine, and if it only works for one year
>which is what all reports about the drug say, then will it work again at
>some later stage of the disease"? Or are they saying that it will
>continue to be of some benefit for many years, from early stages to late
>stages. I am taking it now as my only PD med, is it some help, but not a
>lot. I have tremor as only symptom. Anyone have any clue?

Hello Lanier,

With most PWP amantadine has not such a strong effect on reducing
PD-symptoms as L-dopa has.
Also with most PWP amantadine works for a shorter periode (one year) than
L-dopa (ten years).
So when you have still "minor" symptoms, you can start with amantadine and
when symptoms get worse you can switch to L-dopa.
In my opinion the report says: amantadine is a known drug against
PD-SYMPTOMS in the early stages, but now we have found out it has a second
function: reducing a L-dopa-induced SIDE-EFFECT (=dyskinesia), that mostly
occurs in late stages.
Both drugeffects are present in the early stages, but because often in the
beginning there is no L-dopa-induced dyskinesia, that effect of amantadine
remains unnoticed. The effect on the symptoms wears off after about a year,
but -as this study found out- the anti-L-dopa-induced-dyskinesia-effect
apparently doesn't wear off. So when the PWP gets dyskinesia in the later
stages, the use of amantadine won't reduce the PD-symptoms anymore, but it
will reduce the dyskinesia!!

Greetings, Hans.   <[log in to unmask]>