Sat, 30 May 1998 15:08:57 -0400 Ron Reiner <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
the subject: "Zoloft and Eldepryl Contraindicated":

<SNIP>
>SIDE EFFECTS OF SSRI ANTIDEPRESSANTS

>+ Nausea, diarrhea, headache, sleepiness, loss of appetite, fatigue and
>problems having an ejaculation
>+ Prozac and to a lesser degree Zoloft, can cause tremor, insomnia and
>anxiety.
>+ If taken in the morning, Paxil and Zoloft can cause excessive sleepiness.
>+ Note: On occasion these medications can actually worsen the symptoms of
>Parkinson's disease or cause a sense of physical restlessness.

>CONTRAINDICATIONS

>When combined with Eldepryl (selegiline), these medications can uncommonly
>cause a severe syndrome characterized by increased rigidity, jerking
>movements of the arms and legs, agitation, confusion, restlessness, fever,
>shivering and sweating ("serotonin syndrome"). The simultaneous use of
>these medications and Eldepryl should be discussed with your physician.
<SNIP>

Hello Ron and all,

On this list I read about the possible positive effect of seretonine on PD.
So when I visited my neuro I suggested it and he prescribed at first Prozac.
Since I was not happy with this because of the presumed addicting effect of
Prozac, he prescribed Serotax (paroxetine) (= Paxil in USA).
I knew someone else who used it, so I read the paper included with his meds.
I have to mention I use Eldepryl (2x5,0mg/day). The paper said, it couldn't
be used with a MAO-inhibitor (as is Eldepryl). I decided to test the system
and went to the pharmacist and gave the prescription. After a while he came
back and told me that the computer with all my meds in it indicated that I
couldn't take this drug-combination. He phoned the neuro, who admitted his
mistake and prescribed another med. Luckely the computeralarm worked good
THIS time.
Thanks to warnings on this list I was alerted. This "adventure" has made me
decide to stay extra alert and check first everything they prescribe me.
Starting with this new med I got (but haven't used yet!).

Greetings, Hans.