M.Dawn Legan wrote:

> It seems that as time approaches for next PD meds, I become aware of
> my breathing.  I wouldn't call it "shortness of breath"; it's more a
> thing of becoming aware of breathing deliberately -- pulling air in
> & pushing it out. What is this?

Hello,

In Dr. Lieberman's book Parkinson's Disease, The Complete Guide for
Patients and Caregivers, there is mention of "rigidity and
bradykinesia of the chest wall muscles which prevent the lungs from
expanding" (p. 164).  Are you aware of breathing because it takes a
little more effort?.  Because of this, people with PD tend to become
shallow breathers.  This could increase danger of pneumonia if you
get laid up with a bad cold, the flu, etc.  Dr. L. and also a
physical therapist I know recommend practicing deep breathing.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9