> From:          Ronald Reiner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Neurontin-Treatment for PD

> I pulled this off of Medline.  Neurontin is brand name for gabapentin.
> I've used the stuff for years for restless legs and find that it has
> very few side-effects.  I never realized that it might be alleviating
> some of my PD symptoms.
>
>                         Ron Reiner (50/3)
> Am J Med 1997 Jan;102(1):60-66
>
> Gabapentin for parkinsonism: a double-blind, placebo-controlled,
> crossover trial.
>
> Olson WL, Gruenthal M, Mueller ME, Olson WH
>
> Department of Neurology, University of Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA.
>
> PURPOSE: Gabapentin is a recently available anticonvulsant whose
> mechanism of action remains unknown. We suspected efficacy from
> serendipitous observations of gabapentin in patients with parkinsonism.

Hi Ron

What is gabapentin ? Does it have any connection with GABA ? At
present I am trying to find out if GABA can suppress Dyskinesia .
 Taking it on its own it does not have much effect , but that may be
because it does not cross the blood/brain barrier well . I am now
trying GHB which was originaly used as a way of getting GABA into the
brain . Naturaly with a name like gabapentin it springs to mind that
this is another way of getting GABA across the Blood/brain barrier ??
     peace
          Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )