Earlier in this discussion (before I left for the
Conference-formerly-known-as-the-Learneds) someone asked what the policy
and practice was in Canada with regard to affirmative action.  At the
time I was too busy to reply but it started a chain of thought.

When academic institutions advertise jobs they often have a statement at
the end of the posting that goes something like this: "this institution
is committed to the principle of employment equity.  Qualified men and
women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal people, and persons
with disibilities are encouraged to apply."  Sometimes individuals are
invited to identify themselves as members of these designated groups in
their applications as if availing oneself of special consideration is
voluntary.  I would assume that the institutions are constrained to
advertise this way and to apply some kind of employment equity process,
because the institution is publicly funded.  I remember something about
institutions being required to have an equity plan for employment.

I'm wondering though what has to be contained in the plan.  Waht are the
acceptable processes?  What happens if the plan does not ever result in
a change in the make-up of the workforce at this institution?  Does
anyone ever have to report on how well things are going with the plan?
Do individuals who designate themselves as wanting special consideration
ever receive any accounting?  Can these processes ever be examined or do
they have to be taken on faith?

When I thought about admission to academic programs in Canada, rather
than employment, I realized that there are special processes in place in
the service of equity at least with regard to admission to professional
schools.  This has until recently been the chief place where there is
competition for admission in Canadian universities.  All degrees confer
some advantage in the labour market but professional degrees are the
most beneficial therefore the most desirable.

For aboriginal persons in particular there are two kinds of special
access programs for professional schools in Manitoba.  The first kind
offers specific intensive preparation in the summer before admission to
prepare students for Law, Medicine, or Engineering.  The second kind is
a separate but parallel program that students attend for several years
in modified or specially designed classes.  As far as I know this
parallel program exists only in Education.  In Manitoba enrolment in
these programs is relatively low but there are at present 6 of these
programs in operation.

The other kind of program that used to make it easier for aboriginal
people to go to university was the funding that was provided to them by
the federal government for post-secondary education.  This is still
widely resented in Canada as an unfair advantage.  It's interesting that
when women who had lost their Registered Status through marriage were
given it back, this ceased to be a guaranteed right and became a limited
fund administered by each Band Council.

So we don't have affirmative action programs in Canada.  For employment
in publicly funded enterprises we have these mysterious equity plans and
for admission to professional schools (at least in the western
provinces) we have almost case-by-case access programs.  One reason for
this is that we are not faced with a large disadvantaged group in the
population.  In the United States about 12% of the population is black.
The largest disadvantaged group in Canada is aboriginal persons.  In the
1996 census 799,010 people identified themselves as aboriginal (about
2.8% of the Canadian population).  Even if we counted all people who
have some aboriginal ancestry, the number would be about 1,331,684 or
4.7% of the Canadian population.  Of course this population is not
evenly distributed in Canada and some western provinces have a much
higher percentage of aboriginal persons e.g. 11.7% in Manitoba and 11.4%
in Saskatchewan.

It seems clear to me that this whole question is about gate-keeping,
controlling access to the good things in life, etc. etc.  Lives are
changed utterly by good jobs or by the credentialling opportunities of
education.  Insisting on merit isn't about measuring real ability but
about measuring the evidence of past access to resources.  It assumes
that the pie is limited.  There are only so many places, so many
possibilities.  The success of one depends on, has as a necessary
condition, the failure of many.

Laura Atkinson