Without any experience at all on _his_ side of the equation, can I
chime in and agree with Rob on his diagnosis of the relationships
between the usual English department and the usual writing centre?

My experience is (a) in English departments and (b) talking with
colleagues in CASLL, the Cs, and other locations.  Toronto, in my
experience, is far from unique (at least in their rejection of
writing program transplants).  _And_ even if an English department
_did_ sign on to the centrality of the writing enterprise (as I
understand the Simon Fraser Department does), there is a great deal
to support this:

> Part of the credibility I have with Engineering students is that I
> am NOT from the English Department.

Again, there are clearly exceptions, and from my time at the Centre
at SFU last January, there's one in Burnaby . . . but in general
everybody knows what English teaching is, and it's correcting grammar
and enforcing shibboleths.  Stepping out of that overcoded situation
is extremely difficult.

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~