I have been associated with several writing centres in the past and observe
the writing centre we have at present.

My own observations are these:

1. I believe a University Writing Centre must have a disciplinary
basis--whether that basis be an English Department, and Education
Department or a Rhetoric Department.  This disciplinary basis is important
both for political and quality control reasons.  Some departments or
department must be prepared to come to bat for the Writing Centre. And the
Centre itself must have allegiances to a discplinary field so that it keeps
current and keeps, if it all possible, doing research. In other words, some
measures must be in place to ensure the quality of instructors and those
instructors should be rewarded (ie real jobs) for their teaching abilities
and their contributions to the profession.

2. The University Writing Centre must report in some way to the Academic
side of University Administration.  I am personally opposed to Writing
centres reporting, for example, to the Dean of Students or the
Administrative Dean.  Although some writing centres exist as part of
Student Services, I am on principle opposed to this model. Such services
are just too dispensible depending on the whim of the Adminstration.  Such
services too do not have an academic accountability which I believe is
essential for the continuing development of an effective centre.  I am sure
that centres in these circumstances do exist, but their quality then
depends usually on the good will of one or more people. Not a good
situation.