this is absolutely fabulous news from Judy re: writing centre at U BC. I can
hardly belive it.  Judy, I've got a proposal we've gotten passed at Ohio
State establishing a Center for the Study and TEaching of Writing that is
affiliated with English but its own unit within the College of Humanities.
My answer to your question is that "it depends" -- local conditions are
everything in terms of where a unit is  best housed.  Good luck!!!  Andrea