Barbara Brock wrote:

> he ... had put the number of Parkinson's patients at 500,000 and
> had stated the annual cost to be $6 Billion, I wrote him to ask for
> a correction.  You might do the same because we know that there are
> really between 1 and 2 million people affected.

Barbara,

I have been reading some of the reports of epidemiological studies
trying to determine where the "1 million" (or more - it keeps
growing - do I hear 3 million?) comes from, and here's what the data,
such as it is, seems to point to, more or less.  The number of
patients (people in treatment) is better known than the number of
people affected.  500,000 could very well refer to an estimate of the
number in treatment.  Those affected would include people in
treatment plus substantial but unknown numbers of people with
symptoms who are not diagnosed plus those with neurodegeneration of
the substantia nigra but no outward symptoms yet.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9