Phil Tompkins wrote:
> people with PD tend to become shallow breathers.  This could increase danger of pneumonia if you get laid up with a bad cold, the flu, etc.  Dr. L. and also a physical therapist I know recommend practicing deep breathing.<

Thursday May 28, 1998
Deep breathing can improve fitness

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/health/story.html?s=z/reuters/980528/health/stories/deep6_1.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Simple breathing techniques can lower respiration
rates and help cardiac patients to maintain healthy blood oxygen levels
and become more physically fit.

A team led by Dr. Luciano Bernardi at the University of Pavia, Italy,
compared blood oxygen levels in cardiac patients and normal subjects
during both spontaneous breathing and periods of controlled breathing,
in order to determine the effect of respiration rate on arterial oxygen
saturation. The study, published in the May 2nd issue of The Lancet,
established an optimum healthy breathing rate of six breaths per minute.

Resting blood oxygen concentrations of 50 patients with a history of
chronic heart failure were lower and more variable than those of 11
healthy volunteers. The authors explain that low blood oxygen levels
"may impair skeletal muscle and metabolic function, and lead to muscle
atrophy and exercise intolerance."

When asked to breathe at a rapid 15 breaths per minute, both heart
patients and control subjects showed an increase in blood oxygen levels.
But blood oxygen also increased in both groups when subjects were asked
to breathe at either three or six breaths per minute, indicating that
controlled breathing at a range of rates results in deeper breaths and
more oxygen in the blood.

Because breathing at a rate of three breaths per minute is difficult to
maintain, Bernardi and colleagues suggest a rate of six breaths per
minute "as an ideal compromise."

In a follow-up study, 15 cardiac patients were assigned to one of two
experimental groups. One of the groups learned "complete yoga
breathing," a style of respiration that encourages slow, deep breathing
at a rate of about six breaths per minute. Those patients continued
practicing the breathing method at home for an hour a day.

After a month, the patients practicing the breathing technique breathed
more slowly, had higher levels of blood oxygen, and performed better on
exercise tests.

The authors conclude that their findings support other studies "that
report beneficial effects of training respiratory muscles and decreasing
respiratory work in (cardiac heart failure patients), or physical
training in general." They suggest that "the effects of slow breathing
could be additive to other forms of treatment."
SOURCE: The Lancet 1998;351:1308-1311.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada