<< Hello Sid,

 Can you tell me what are the ingredients of this herbal product, and more
 specific: what ingredient(s) is/are causing the increase of PD-symptoms?

 Greetings,  Hans. >>

Hello Hans,

Here's some additional info on Kava:

It is derived from the knotty root of a large tropical shrub in the black-
pepper family.  In the South Pacific, it has been cultivated for centuries as
a traditional psychoactive drug -- often used in religious/ritual ceremonies
and social gatherings.  It has a rich past.  In Europe Kava is widely used as
a natural relaxant and sleep aid.

Kava's relaxing properties are due to some 15 chemical compounds known as
kavalactones, which act on the central nervous system.  Kava should not be
mixed with depressant drugs such as alcohol, prescription sedatives, or herbal
relaxants such as valerian root, as kava may intensify the effects of these
substances to a degree that could be dangerous.

Kava should not be used by persons with Parkinson's disease as it may cause
increased muscular twitching in Parkinson's patients.  This is due to the
chemical compounds -- kavalactones, causing an unwanted reaction on the
nervous system.

There are recommended herbs, however, for PD sufferers that will provide
similar anti-anxiety results and induce relaxation.  It is Passion Flower and
Scullcap.  Both are safe to use for those with PD.  Both are relaxing herbs,
often helpful with calming tremors, relieving anxiety, and inducing sleep.
They can in fact be used together, as they work synergistically.  Of course,
if you may not want to feel sleepy during the day, therefore, a lower dose is
taken.  At night, if you need help getting to sleep, you take up to 3
capsules, a half hour before bed.  If one alone does not help, take 2-3
capsules of the other along with the first.  There are no known side-effects
with this dose.  You also, will not have a groggy feeling when you wake in the
morning.

Finally, Valerian can also be used for anxiety and as a sleep aid.  I even
give this to my children when they are having trouble sleeping due to being
unable to relax.  It is very safe.  Valerian can also be combined with Passion
Flower and Scullcap.  Remember, herbs work the same way pharmecuticals work,
in that, what works for one person, may not work as well for another.  When
the right herbs are used in combination, the results are usually more
successful and balanced.

Hope this helped Hans.  If you have any other questions about herbs, I'd be
glad to try and answer them.  Herbs have become my passion, as has alternative
health and medicine.  Conventional doctors just don't look at people as
"whole", therefore, they don't address the "whole picture."  Alternative
medicine considers the body, mind and soul -- treating all aspects of who we
are, and what we're made of.

The real catalyst catapulting me in this direction, was the first neurologist
my husband saw.  His diagnosis of my husband's symptoms -- fibromyalgia, if he
indeed had anything wrong with him!

Thank God I persevered, and convinced my husband this guy was wrong and we
needed a second opinion.  I hate to think how much agony my hubby would be in
today, wondering why the heck he couldn't move around like he used to -- and
at the same time, telling himself the doctor said it was, "nothing serious!"

Tami  (wife of an early-onset PWP)