Dear Dale,

In the 6/5 PD Digest, you offered to donate bottles of excess PD meds to
those who need them. Yet another PD Listeserv member commented that this
would be against Federal Law.

Would it truly be illegal? I would guess so but I don't really know for
sure. After all, you are not selling or prescribing the meds; but would
giving the meds to others constitute "practicing medicine without a
license", or would it open you (despite your disclaimer of guarantee) to
potential repercussions if someone has a bad reaction from using those
meds?

Then again, your offer is based on compassion, and you apparently would be
acting in good faith in assuming (though not guaranteeing) that the meds
are unadulterated and as labeled. But is that enough?

It seems to me that rather than dump those meds, perhaps a way to resolve
the matter would be for you to contact your local office (or the D.C. HQ)
of the FDA and ask them if there is any way that you can have those meds
legally distributed (perhaps by you or by a doctor of your choice?) to
those in need.

For that matter, I've noticed that there appear to be several MD's and
Neurologists on this PD Listserv; perhaps one of them would care to
respond with their knoweldge about what to do in this situation?

-- SJS
   6/6/98