I sent the following letter to each of the senators on the
appropriations subcommittee using the email site listed, which made it
very easy.  Do you know of a similar one for the House?

My name is Nina Brown . When I was 44 years old I was diagnosed with
Parkinson’s disease, a progressive neurological disorder that destroys
the brain cells controlling motor function.  Available treatment only
partially alleviates the resulting stiffness, tremor and slowness of
movement.  Eventually it leaves its victims unable to walk, to talk,
even to move.

I've worked on the Executive board of the Parkinson Foundation of Harris
County for twelve years.  Among other things, I write their monthly
newsletter that is distributed to over 1700 families.  I've chaired
fund-raisers - the last being the “Knock-out Parkinson’s with Mohammed
Ali” Gala that netted over $125,000. I want to be able to continue to
contribute to my community, but I've seen my co-workers robbed of their
ability to work to help find a cure because of the progression of their
disease.

Until recently, my medications (which cost me $400 a month) have allowed
me to live an “almost” normal life.  But now the disease has progressed
to the point where the medications don't always work.  Today I can feed
and dress myself, but the time to find a cure is running out for me.  A
day doesn't pass that allows me to forget that I have Parkinson’s
disease and that I don't know what tomorrow will bring.  I spent a year
recovering from a ten hour back fusion that became necessary due to my
Parkinson’s gait, then fell because of the Parkinson’s and fractured a
kneecap.

My grandson just celebrated his 5th birthday…and I watched the party
from the sidelines, because it was an “off” day.  The medications didn’t
work and I couldn’t move.  There are times I can't hold my two year old
granddaughter for fear I might fall with her or drop her.  I want to be
able to play with my grandchildren.  I don't want them to remember that
Grandma couldn't move, or talk or smile.

Parkinson's also financially cripples our nation in addition to the
human suffering it causes.  It costs an estimated $25 billion in direct
and indirect costs per year.  In 1997, U.S. support for direct
Parkinson's research was only estimated to be $34 million, or a mere $34
per year per patient, which is far less than most other diseases
receive.

Neuroscientists tell us that with enough funding, they have the manpower
and knowledge to find a cure within five years.

Congressman, YOU hold my life in your hands.  YOU have the power to help
find a cure for Parkinson’s by authorizing the funding for the Morris K.
Udall Bill.  PLEASE  help me get my life back!

Nina Brown (and all the family and friends who care about me)
9715 Burdine
Houston, Texas 77096-4015
Phone: 713.729.1544
Fax:     713.610.8662