Greetings,

A few months ago I had posted my summary of the Duke study article on
the list. (I have access to a medical library).

There's an abstract at Medline (www.nih.gov, click on
consumer health info, medline).  The reference is:

J Am Geriatr Soc 1997 Jul;45(7):844-849; "The burden of Parkinson's
disease on society, family, and the individual". Whetten-Goldstein K,
Sloan F, Kulas E, Cutson T, Schenkman M .

They found for a sample of 109 PWP's in NC that "The total per capita
societal burden was approximately $6000 per year, the greatest single
element of which was compensation for earnings loss for those less
than age 65."

Not in the abstract but in the article are costs to the patient
/family of 18,886 for the sample studied.

Please note:  In my post I should *not* have multiplied $25,000 times
1 million, since the cost only applies to those in treatment. And if
you apply the results of the sample to the whole country, there is
also a significant margin of error, I know not what.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9