> Hi all list members

> Woa there. Whose been lurking for the last 6 months. If anyone remembers me
> I am\ was the sole representative from Indonesia on this list (recently
> evacuated and returned).

The lethargy has left because I see strong statements on the pro's and con's
of starting l-dopa. My medication experience so far.Year 1
sometime on selegeline. But it kills us - doesn't it?. Or does it. See
myriads of correspondence
Year 2
pergolide. How I hated pergolide. Nasty side effects for me, but some relief
of symptons.
December 1997 - statement from the nuero (in the 10 minute interview for the
year) "all agonists are much the same" So I started sinemet with the
pergolide. Instant feel better.
Year 3
Early May 1998 - forgot the pergolide for two doses - hey I feel much better
- cold  turkey pergolide (no ill effects). Reduced sinemet to zero for 4 days
- feel ok but fingers really too stiff to do typing comfortably.
New nuero (22 May) - no agonist, eldepryl is shown incontrovertibly to have
benefits in the double blind trials versus "flawed ??????" increased
mortality data. New nuero prefers madopar to sinemet (personal observation)
and also says he believes that sinemet side effects are disease progress
dependent not time on l-dopa related and refers to almost instantaneous
occurence of side effects when l-dopa was used on the famous (but I've
forgotton the name) group of people with drug induced parkinsons (sounds a
logical conclusion to me). He qualified the statement by saying that the
metabolites (correct word?) from l-dopa are somewhat nasty.
Current treatment
selegeline 10mg each morning, 125 madopar every 6 hours, vitamen E and C
I feel really ok. Right hand and arm swing no where near perfect, but I'm
putting in a busy full week at work (quote from Europe end of the operation
"seems like your putting in 40 hours overtime") as a General Manager.

PS anyone who is having a child fathered by a  PWP on selegeline - don't
worry my one year old (who walked at 10 months) is perfect - will tell you
about babies fathered on sinemet and pergolide  this time next year.

Conclusions:
I'm confused as to who knows the truth. What the hell, I feel ok today (anti
depressant quality  of selegiline - or is this quality perhaps an amphetamine
high from selegline metabolites - which observation is correct?). 10 - 15
years time? Again, at 50 years of age what the hell I might have already died
of a heart attack by 60 - 65.
Fortunately no depression yet about having the disease. So for the nearly 3
years since diagnosis its been very much live for today and don't worry too
much for 10 - 15 years down the road. Lets hope the real cure comes along
(cell - genetic based whatever it is) sooner rather than later.
Which leads me to the real depression of the year.
1. I remember an announcement concerning the search by a group of researchers
for financial backing to try and develop their cell - gene therapy (?), "we
have had offers but they are not finacially attractive enough for us"
FINANCIALLY ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH!!!!!!!! hey buddy these are real peoples lives
you are talking about - take the lowish offer, if it works your going to be
very rich anyway (I didn't see any comment on the callous attitude displayed)

2. Three weeks ago I watched the capital city of the worlds 4th most populous
nation burning, with troops firing automatic weapons and tanks being run into
crowds. If you live in a quiet country, city, town, village thank your "God"
for it.

Regards

David