>Contraindicated!

>Hello Sid,
>
>Can you tell me what are the ingredients of this herbal product, and more
>specific: what ingredient(s) is/are causing the increase of PD-symptoms?

  Hans, hello.  My knowledge of kava is limited to a one-page article in Dr.
Andrew Weil's _Self Healing_ newsletter of June 1998.  To quote a few
sentences from the article on kava:

        Derived from the knotty root of a large tropical shrub in
        the black-pepper family (Piper methysticum), kava has a rich
        history. In cultures of the South Pacific, it has been cultivated
        for centuries as a traditional psychoactive drug believed to
        have religious significance. In that part of the world, it is
        generally prepared as a drink made from the fresh or dried root
        and consumed at ritual ceremonies and social gatherings.
        Today, the herb is widely used in Europe as a natural relaxant
        and sleep aid, and Germany's Commission E-the national
        agency that evaluates and regulates botanical medicines-gave
        kava its stamp of approval in 1990 for conditions of nervous
        anxiety and stress.

       Look for standardized extracts. The kavalactone content
       of kava root can vary widely, so be sure to seek out
       standardized preparations. Look in health-food stores or drug
       stores for an extract standardized to 60 to 75 mg of
       kavalactones per capsule.

      Avoid taking with
      certain drugs and herbs. Don't mix kava with depressant
      drugs such as alcohol, prescription sedatives, or herbal
      relaxants such as valerian root, as kava may intensity the
      effects of these substances to a degree that could be
      dangerous. As with any drug that affects the central nervous
      system, I would monitor kava's effects on you before driving.

And, most importantly from our perspective, Dr. Weil writes:

    - Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you
     have Parkinson's disease, Kava may cause increased
     muscular twitching in Parkinson's patients.

     Sid Roberts   68/3   <[log in to unmask] >     Youngstown, Ohio