AND on another occasion M.Dawn Legan wrote:

> I'm wondering if some you have had fluctuating blood pressure due
> to the PD or its meds. My doctor is speculating that some of my low
> energy problem could be related to low blood pressure, and is
> recommending salt tablets.  I can't find these, but am filling
> capsules with table salt.  Can someone, perhaps our nutritionist
> Katherine, tell me, in terms of fractions of a teaspoon, what the
> recommended intake of salt per day is, and what would be a toxic
> level?

Hello M. Dawn,

I would like to suggest, that BOTH problems (breathing and energy) are
related to the low bloodpressure.

Low bloodpressure can be caused by PD itself and/or by PD-meds or both.
Also there is something called "static hypotension" (=if you suddenly stand
up after having been laying down, or if you suddenly stand up straight after
having been bending over, with some people (not-PD related) this causes a
sudden drop of the bloodpressure). Any physician can do a simple test to
measure if someone is sensitive to "static hypotension". Low bloodpressure
on it's own or both above mentioned reasons for a lower bloodpressure
combined, could IMHO lead to the energyproblem. The energyproblem of course
can also directly be caused by PD itself. (And: bloodpressure-problems are
more frequent in the starting- or adjustingperiod of a new med.).

The breathing: if the bloodpressure is low or suddenly drops, the transport
of oxygen relatively isn't sufficient. This relative lack of oxygen sets off
an alarm, that says: more oxygen needed!!! So naturally you start deeper
breathing to take in more oxygen!

As for the possible solution:
IMHO the extra salt-intake won't give you a permanent positive result.
If your kidneys are oke they will just get rid of the surplus of salt above
the daily needed uptake just as fast as you take it in! As to the suggested
more or less drinking of water: if you need water, you'll get thirsty and
drink; if you don't need water, you won't get thirsty and you don't have to
drink!! As you suggested, you better don't take my word for it, but ask
Kathrynne Holden or your own dietitian.
Keep in mind that a change or adjustment of your meds might have a positive
result; also keep in mind something besides PD might cause the problems:
e.g. chronic bronchitis or an allergy.

Consult a qualified physician before making any changes in your meds!!

Hope this helps, Hans.    Hans van der Genugten <[log in to unmask]>