Somewhere in the old testament (Job?) it says that "there is nothing new
under the sun".  The French have a related saying, usually expressed in
English as ""the more things change, the more they stay the same".  Anyone
doubting the basic truths behind these timeworn statements need only look to
the internet and e-mail to have them reconfirmed.  Wonderful as this "new"
thing is it is still just people communicating and we bring to it our oldest
possession - human nature.  Take our own list for example.   It is human
nature which gives us the highest moments on this list and also our lowest.
It is human nature to call for one and all to join in the campaign to have
the Udall funds made available.  It is human nature to extend the invitation
to non US citizens to add their voice to the push.  It is also human nature
to forget that the whole matter of "foreign " involvement in US political
affairs was debated at some length last year during the campaign to have the
bill passed.

The sheer guts and determination of our US listmembers in organising
themselves to get that bill funded is one of the highpoints of this list.
It is a high profile matter and rightly so - but to suggest, on the strength
of a poor response to the call for foreign involvement, that the United
States is the only place where PD activism is alive and well and that "the
American people do it all for the rest of the world" is, to say the least, a
bit extreme, not to mention inaccurate.  Worst of all it is unfair and
belittles the unsung efforts of thousands of people across the world.  It is
also indicative of a degree of insularity coming as it does so soon after
the world launch of Activa DBS therapy, a French innovation using hardware
developed in Australia by Medtronics.

Finally, I would like to say that when I read the call to contribute, I sat
here at my keyboard once more looking for the form of words that would
enable me to comply with the request to join in.  As  I wrote I realised
that if I was writing in similar circumstances to my own Member of
Parliament, I would be:

-    asking him/her why my letter was necessary?

-    wanting to know why a vote to pass the bill was not automatically
followed by a vote in favour of funding it?

-    saying that in my view anybody who voted for the bill with no intention
of funding it was guilty of an act of callous manipulation perpetrated at
the expense of a particularly vulnerable sector of society.

-    suggesting that voting for the bill carried a moral requirement to fund
it;  and finally...

-    ...I would be saying that I would actively work against the re-election
of any MP who, having voted for the bill, voted against funding it.

To write in such vein to a US Congressman who neither represents me nor is
answerable to me is at best pointless, at worst offensive.  I closed the
letter, deleted it, and moved on.  It is not just for politicians that
"politics is the art of the achievable"

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/