Hans, Bruce 'n All....

I'd had PD symptoms for 7 years by the time I
was diagnosed many years ago.   One of the
problems I ran up against - and it's STILL a common
problem with many Parkies - is that my NEURO
made the decision not to give me any PD drugs
for several years because I was only 40 at the time.

My NEURO, who had seen me ONE TIME in my
entire life made that decision without consulting ME,
and without appraising me of all my options.

I may have been stunned and in emotional pain
when I got that diagnosis, but from HERE I can see that
particular neuro had his own beliefs in how best to
treat a newly diagnosed young onset Parkie.   I
would have taken a different route THEN had I known
all my options.  Instead I believed and trusted my neuro
was TREATING me, when he was really MONITORING
me (with the best of intentions on his part)

Had I been advised of my options THEN, I feel I
would have made my decision upon the facts
that I needed to function at my best because of
work demands and expectations, and I had my
two daughters living at home - I HAD been an active
mother, and the PD was slowing me down.

Without Parkinson's meds at the time, I KNOW I wasn't
working at my best, nor mothering at my best.
The fact that my employers seemed pleased with my
work was only because THEY didn't know I wasn't at
my peak, didn't know I had PD, and weren't aware of
what a struggle each day was  for me.

To my daughters, I was just "Mom," and they loved me
despite my having PD..... But _ I _  would've liked to
be the mom preferred to be and COULD'VE been
had I been on PD drugs at the time.... A more active mom...

I STRONGLY believe that ANY neuro making a
diagnosis of PD MUST appraise the patient - no matter
their initial reactions to the diagnosis - of ALL the drug
options available at the time.  The newly diagnosed PWP
is not a child just because they have a PD diagnosis
and doesn't need a DOCTOR to make THEIR decisions
without at least OFFERING  the Parkie all drug options.

If, at that time, after being made aware of all Parkinson's
drug options, the newly diagnosed PWP puts their
treatment entirely in their doctor's hands,at least they
have know there are options and that they as patients
CAN participate in their own treatment IF they chose.

I wish I'd known about that choice when I was first diagnosed...

Barb Mallut