Today I read an article from Reuters stating that the nicotine patch may
possibly help people w/ PD.  The article even went so far as to say that
smokers may be less likely to develope PD than non-smokers.  This is not
true in my case.  I've been a smoker all my life.  I quit around 1989 (4
pks./day), but started again in 1994 after the death of our infant son.
Now I am in the process of quiting again FOR GOOD, and have cut down to
less than 1 pk./day from 4 pks./day.  I can tell you that smoking has not
helped any of my PD symptoms, and even if it did, I doubt I would keep
smoking or using a nicotine patch, because as of yesterday I found out that
I have a serious heart problem on top of the PD.  I have a loving,
supportive wife and 3 wonderful young children whom I need to be around
for.  The PD will make it hard enough to enjoy the years I have left, and
I'm certainly not going to help continue to speed up the degeneration
process by deliberately putting nicotine in my body!  Am I wrong about
this??!!

Jim J. 54/4
So.Lake Tahoe, CA