At 05:16 PM 6/9/98 , Doug McCorkle wrote:
>Fellow listmembers -
-snip-
>I sincerely apologize to anyone who took offense at my posting and
especially to
>Gail and Arthur for anything in my message that might have caused any bad
>feeling of any kind.

Doug, possibly if anybody should apologize, it is I.  And I do, insofar as
this has resulted in a semantic wild goose chase.

But I do not apologize for trying to express the idea that others on the
list are neighbours on the planet earth to me before they are nationals of
other countries.  I do not apologize for  trying to reinforce Gail's idea
that those living outside the United States may have ideas or approaches to
our fight for funding that we in the United States have not expressed.  And
I do not apologize for reinforcing Gail's idea that this is everybody's
fight, "foreigner" or no.

I expect that, whatever our results with the Udall funding, countries other
than the United States may discuss additional funding for Parkinson's
research of their own.  Those of us from the United States will not ask
that such funding of theirs be increased.  Dennis Greene has correctly
pointed out that it is not our business.  But perhaps those from the other
countries will rely in good part on arguments developed in this Udall
funding discussion to strengthen their case.  You may quote directly from
what has already been written here or modify it to fit your particular
circumstances.  Do it!

In the same vein, if you have a fresh way of expressing your views on the
funding, it's last call.  Express them now, whether you are a citizen of
the United States or not, and if not whether you consider yourself a
neighbour on planet earth, a national of your native country, a
"foreigner," or "two or more of the above."

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
 (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)

   Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness