From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Dennis Greene
Sent:   Tuesday, June 09, 1998 4:47 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Foreigners revisited

Bruce Anderson seems to be under the impression that I object to being
called a foreigner.  He  wrote:

"But picking  on the word foreigner is really pretty silly.
Here if you don't live in the U.S. you're a foreigner because.........ta
da..........you live in another country."

which sent me scuttling back to my original posting to see where he could
have got that idea from.  The only candidate I could find was that at one
point I emphasised foreign by putting it in quotation marks. My intention
was to emphasis "foreign" as opposed to "domestic" but I can see how it
could be read as objecting to "foreign".  Which only goes to show that the
best placed quotation marks of PC and pen, gang oft astray (with apologies
to R. Burns).

Please do not stop using foreigner on my account.  For some years now I have
been reconciled to the fact that the US Department of Immigration has never
written to me demanding that I move to the United States.  I have even got
over the fact that this means that to Americans I shall always be a
foreigner and that they shall always be foreigners to me.

Ah-ha!  I have the answer.  I'll visit Mexico and swim across the Rio
Grande.  That should serve to change my status from being a mere foreigner
to that of being an illegal alien.  Now there's a word to conjure with.

(With tongue firmly in cheek)

Dennis.