Tenderness in Men

It's like plum custard at the heart of a steel girder,
cool malted milk in a hot bowling ball.

It's glimpsed sometimes when a man pats a puppy.

If his wife moves softly, it may flutter like a hermit thrush
into the bedroom, and pipe its pure, warbling tune.

Comment, though, and it's a moray jerking back into its cave.

My dad taught me to hide tenderness like my "tallywhacker" —
not to want or accept it from other men. All I can do
for a friend in agony is turn my eyes and, pretending
to clap him on the back, brace up his carapace with mine.

So, when you lean across the table and extend your hand,
your brown eyes wanting only good for me, it's no wonder
my own eyes glow and swell too big for their sockets
as, in my brain, dry gulleys start to flow.

Charles Webb

janet paterson aka calendar control supervisor
51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac - [log in to unmask]
quotations: http://newww.com/cgi-bin/do_cal?c:newvoice
pwp event calendar: http://newww.com/cgi-bin/do_cal?c:pwpc