WRITING A LETTER

Determine:
 audience (Congress)
 subject (Udall Bill/Parkinson's disease)
 purpose (inform/motivate)
 desired result (full funding of Udall Bill)

Known facts:
 at least 500,000 Americans have PD.
 The annual cost of PD is $25,000 per person.
 It is estimated that 10 million Americans out of the current
population will develop PD.

Cautions:
 1. Do not pontificate, leave this to the halls of Congress.
 2. Do not attack other programs, they might be the favorites of the
people you are trying to persuade.  (Specifically, military spending)
 3. If it is not on the first two lists above, leave it out.  (This
assumes that you have already listed everything that is pertinent.)

Outline:

1. The expenditures for the Udall Bill have been approved but still
need to be appropriated.

2. The reasons for funding the Udall Bill are the same as for
approving it.

3. We urge you to support full funding of the Udall Bill.

Appendices.

List the sources of your information.  This is where you get into
detail.

-----------------------------------

Barbara,

Sorry to be so long in getting this to you, but have had computer
problems.  Hope this is in time to help people write messages to
Congress.  I lost my file of facts so those used above were taken from
memory (I know, very dangerous) and obviously are not complete.  I
will try to write a complete message within the next week and post it
on the list.

Bruce
56/9
Sinemet CR & Mirapex