Barbara Rager wrote:

>     But you are a medical person.  What do you mean that he died from this?
> I'm sure that we are all aware of complications associated with it which
> could eventually be terminal in their own right: pneumonia, choking,
> falling.  etc.  But did you in fact mean  to say that Parkinson's is itself
> a terminal illness?  I think this is an important distinction.  I would very
> much like to have clarification from you or anyone else with information on
> this matter.

Barbara,

You are indeed correct.  My father-in-law actually died of pneumonia
but the complications of his PD played a major role.  He was, as I
previously wrote to the List, 92 years old and had some "other
things" wrong with him also; but the PD, by immobilizing him, did the
deed indirectly through the pneumonia.

David had responded well to Sinemet and later the addition of
Eldepryl; but he eventually escaped the effects.  He was not
interested in surgery and we respected his wishes (and I actually
agreed that he was not a good candidate for pallidotomy).  He was
mentally sharp right up until the end.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"