Brian Collins wrote:
>On Thu 11 Jun, Gil Lieberman wrote:
>> Ronald,
>> Thanks for your reply below to my question.
>>
>> Aliza is using 25/100 CR pills.
>> How does this affect your sugggestion below?
>> I did not know that regular pills are 1/3 more effective than
>> CR pills.Previously,Aliza was taking half pills of 25/250 or 12.5/125
>> which using 1/3 reduction corresponds to about 67mg of levadopa with
>> the 25/100 CR pills.This is almost a 50 percent reduction in levadopa
>> as compared with the regular pills.This may account for her increased
>> symptoms with the CR.Is my reasoning correct?
snip
>Hello Gil.  I am not sure that you have quite absorbed the role of Carbidopa
>(or Benserazide in Madopar tablets). I will just list the main points to try
>and clarify the setup.
snip
>4. The theory about Controlled release tablets is that they spend longer in
>the blood stream, and thus are exposed for a longer period of time to attack. I
>have never seen the proof of how much this affects the levodopa getting to the
>brain - My instinct is to believe a loss of 5% rather than the quoted 30%.

the reality seems to be that CR binder dissolving  rate is quite variable.
only a portion of the tablet is dissolved.  the data in the human testing
report is the origin of this information.

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/levoplas.html

has some data and conjecture regarding this.

Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter