First, I should correct an error which sneaked into my last e-mail:
  Controlled release  tablets spend longer in the stomach/digestive system,
  not in the bloodstream.

Ron Vetter wrote :
> the reality seems to be that CR binder dissolving  rate is quite variable.
> only a portion of the tablet is dissolved.  the data in the human testing
> report is the origin of this information.

I agree with Ron's point that there is some variation in the dissolve rate
of the Controlled Release tablets. I recall that back in the good old days,
when I could live with the CR tablets release rate, I used to take one CR
tablet, which lasted for a glorious time of 4 hours. However, I then used to
follow it with a half a Sinemet 25/100, because I found that it was difficult
to 'chain' two CR tablets together so that there was no dip in output or worse
still so that there was no surge in levodopa at the end of a tablet, caused by
an overlap of the output of two CR tablets together. This was guaranteed to
put me in dyskinesia country, and as the CR tablets continued to disolve the
overdose of levodopa continued for what seemed to be an eternity.

Interposing an ordinary Sinemet in between the two CR tablets put a stop to
the overdose risk, indicating that increased variation in output can occur
with CR tablets. This is not a sign that I disapprove of CR tablets: the
concept is fine; - the execution lacks a little finesse.  I don't want to
upset you folk in the USA, but the Madopar CR comes in a capsule filled with
hundreds of little 'marbles' each with its own dissolve rate. It does seem
to be a more reliable method to achieve the objective that the Sinemet
concept.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>