Hi there, Meg

>My father was diagnosed as
>having many Parkinson's symptoms and is now on medication (Requip).
>His hands shake, he has strange sensations in his legs and just
>doesn't feel as sharp and well as he used to feel. He is 73 now
>and has had symptoms increasing over about 5 years.

He's not doing so badly then :-) I've had similar troubles since I was
48, and I'm 60 now. I'm lucky. It could be so much worse!

> My Dad will
>be seeing the neurologist for a checkup later this week. My name
>is Meg. I seem to be a family resource on digging up medical info
>due to our computer and science background in biology. Plus this is
>my way of finding control and trying to help.

Good policy, that. If you can, get your Dad involved in the search for
info. It's a major kick in the guts to be diagnosed with PD (or any
progressive disease, I guess) and we all need the opportunity to regain
our self-image.

>My Dad asked me last night, if I could help him
>find out if his metal dental caps could be related to the start of
>his Parkinson's.

It certainly COULD be, but no one actually knows what triggers it off.
We all have our pet theories.

>Coincidentally it was 5 years ago that he started to get the
>weird leg sensations and his hands started to shake.
>diagnosis, but say over 95% chance it is Parkinson's. Reading on
>possible futures has really taken the wind out of my Dad's sails.

It's a real trade-off, that: read a medical dictionary, and feel worse,
or don't read  it, and be fearful due to ignorance!

> My Dad wonders if there is a
>connection with chemical exposure, plus is just flat scared of his
>future.

I can relate to THAT! Activity and being useful are great antidotes!

> My Dad has always taken great care of himself and is in good
>shape (weight, exercising).

Keep him at it then.

>Additional question:
>I know that there is a question unspoken much in the family.
>Is there any link to PD being inherited?

No! Or rather, not directly! It is felt that there may be a genetic
predisposition to "catching" PD, but direct inheritance seems to be
unlikely.

>I am starting a search on info. My Dad has gotten a computer too
>and is getting on-line. We are helping him get going. He says that
>things overwhelm him a bit and he also just gets depressed trying
>to take in the possible facts. I was flattered that he asked me
>to help him and hope that I can.

Love and belonging, and being needed are an enormous help - probably as
much to you as to him. BE THERE for each other, and you'll beat the
world!

Good luck.
--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]