Dear List,

I just returned tonight from Washington, D.C.  I was able to go with Kees
for the weekend, but had to return this evening so I could go back to work
in the morning.

The beginning of the conference looks great!!  There are more people there
this time than ever before (so they say... my first trip).  People also seem
to be very focused and ready to work hard.  Kees and Bob and Nancy Martone
and Jim and Nina Brown had 2 appointments on the hill today.  They then have
4 or more set up for the next 3 days.  Many other people also had 4 or 5
appointments scheduled, and were actively working for more.  I am really
impressed at the energy I saw being spent, and I can only believe that it
will only help in our fight.

There was also excitement at how many signatures on petitions and letters
were there:  Texas had more than 5,000 (we don't have a count yet from the
Dallas group), Michigan had more than 6,000, and New England had what looked
like 12 or 15 big storage boxes crammed with petitions and letters!!!!!   I
sure wouldn't want to be the staffer trying to sort through those boxes... I
think I'd just twist my congressman or senator's arm and say, "GIVE THEM THE
MONEY!!!'

My feeling from all this is that we on the list should be happy and proud of
our collective efforts (because those folks in D.C. are not going alone,
they are going with the knowledge that there are all of us here and others
not on the list supporting them).

The BIG thing that I recognized from my short time there is that we can
still make a difference.  Here is what I think we should do:

Every person on the list with a congressman and senators should email them
ASAP with a short, to the point request to support funding for the Udall Act
and telling why.  Follow it up with a snail mail letter.  Then get all your
friends who have twistable arms and get them to do the same.

My impression from several things I have seen and heard the past 3 days is
that petitions will carry some weight, but that 10 letters will mean more
than 100 signatures.

Thanks to all for the encouragement given to the PAN attendees.

Faye Armstrong-Paap