I have always been intruiged by reading that both Permax (pergolide) and
bromocriptine can cause pulmonary and retroperitoneal fibrosis (I think
after long term use).

There are never any explanations about how one knows or tests for these
conditions, but I came across this info in the course of some research
today and thougth list members may like it - I give it not to make folks
scared, just so that you can ask your docs about it if you feel the need.

Q. How do you recognise pulmonary (PF) or retroperitoneal fibrosis (RF)?

Square brackets are mine.

RF is difficult to recognise, because it presents with bladder and bowel
difficulties, which commonly occur in PD itself.  Examination by
neurologists and gastroenterolgists generally are of little benefit
[great!].

PF presents with either pleurisy or shortness of breath, but will
ocassionally present with basal crepitations on routine auscultation
[sounds heard in the chest/lungs by listening with stethoscope presumably].

Therefore it is worth listening regularly to the patient's chest if they
are taking one of these drugs.  A chest x-ray is advised if there are
respiratory symptoms on auscultation.