Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:29:23 +0100  JaneRoss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am still having a hard time understanding what you are saying.  If I am
>wrong please correct me.  It is the sight that hasn't been approved not the
>stimulator.  Right? the stimulator is quite versatile,  christopher Reeves
>wears one to ride an exercise bike. It has a mode to eliminate back pain.
>The two that I have, have been put into place during  a 'blind
>study'.Should I put out a pool to win if you guess the right spot.  Both
>sides are in the same control site. I'm still not sure which is which.

Hi Jane,

The blind study compares the results of TWO different operations, to see
which operation has the best results. It compares a regular operation with a
"new" one. So a group of PWP is treated with "regular", and an other group
with "new". If the study proves the new one is better, approval can be asked
on the basis of these results of the study.

First there was a research-study in France, comparing thalamotomy with DBS
of the thalamus. Both were expected to be mostly effective on the tremor.
Follow-up studies were carried out in e.g. the Netherlands.
Also a follow-up study took place in the USA.
Resulting in the approval of DBS of the thalamus in both Europe and USA.
(USA: SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR?).

Secondly during the above mentioned follow-up studies in other countries,
in FRANCE a NEW study started, comparing DBS of the Globus Pallidus with DBS
of the SUB-thalamic nucleus. Both were expected to be effective on the
tremor AND ON OTHER PD-SYMPTOMS. The latter DBS proved to be the most
effective of the two. Follow-up studies took place in the rest of Europe and
the USA, resulting in the approval of DBS of the SUBTHALAMIC NUCLEUS in
EUROPE last april!! There is NO approval yet in the USA, but is expected
before the end of this year.

Now YOU Jane were part of the SECOND study in the USA.
So you belong to the group, treated with DBS of the GLOBUS PALLIDUS, OR...
you belong to the other group, treated with DBS of the SUBTHALAMIC NUCLEUS.
You were treated on BOTH SIDES with the SAME operation, so you have TWO
DBS's of the GLOBUS PALLIDUS, OR.. TWO DBS's of the SUBTHALAMIC NUCLEUS.

Hope this will clarify things, so I will win the pool!!
BTW Jane, what was there to win in the pool??

Greetings,  Hans.