I live a block from a house that got hit by a single engine
airplane yesterday morning at 5:17.  So you can guess
where I was (in my bathrobe and bunny-slippers) <atsa
lie - I don't gots no bunny slippers.... but I WAS in my
robe> after I recovered from the initial shock of hearing
what turned out to be 7, count 'em, SEVEN helicopters
hovering over my head at near ground level.  They only
SOUNDED like 10,000 power lawn mowers all running
in unison!!   AAAAAARGH!

JEEEEZ!  I had been sound asleep and suddenly there
was this awful NOISE!  I thought it was another major
earthquake, like the Northridge Quake that struck so
near my home in '94 (HEAVEN FORBID!!), but it
turned out to be the coptors.  Gotta tell ya tho, initially - till
I could see for m'self that it wasn't a quake or the end
of the world, I was one mighty scared person!!

Once I found out what had happened, I didn't linger
outside - it was drizzling and chilly and I was very tired.
With all the police and fire personnel, news media and
lookee-loos standing about, I saw no reason to just
hang 'round, so I walked back home, wondering at the
luck of the 2 older occupants (husband and wife)
of the house who'd JUST installed an all-steel emergency
ladder LAST SUNDAY on their bedroom balcony. THAT
saved their lives as the stairwell was engulfed in flames
when the plane exploded.  Unfortunately the two occupants
of the plane died.

I got home and HECK... it was STILL a godawful-early
hour of the morning - just six.  Due to the noise of the
still-hovering helicopters, I couldn't even turn back in for
some more shuteye.

And oddly, when I watched the news last nite and saw
a video recounting of the day's happenings on TV, I was
VERY surprised to find that not even ONE on site
interviewer had said something to the couple whose
 home had been hit and set afire by an plane like
"So how do you feel, Mrs. Peiman, about not getting
killed when a plane crashed into your newly remodeled home?"

From the careful LACK of the usual thoughtless,
callous comments that always seem to be the only
way tragic events are handled by the news media, there's
no question in my mind that there'd been some sensitivity
training - or one HELLUVA of an editing job had been
done to remove that type of commentary!

Today there's almost a surrealistic feeling about the
entire event.. and it almost seems like it was a figment
of my imagination.  A quick drive-by proved that it was
NOT that.

Barb Mallut