hi dennis

you wrote, in part:
>In summary: I posted to 242 newspapers
>I wrote to the list some days ago predicting that a one letter
>campaign was unlikely to succeed and suggesting that a
>concerted effort, by 5% of this list, targeted at specific newspapers,
>might improve the chances of some letters being printed.
>No one has responded to that suggestion in any way at all,
>which leaves it stillborn...
>All in all a less than successful outcome. At least writing
>the open letter served to get some things off my chest.

and then Ken responded to you:

>Dennis, hopefully, the people who recieved the letter did read it
>and did discuss it with a few people, even if that resulted in it not
>being published, it can't hurt to have it discussed.  Thank you for
>writing it and TRYING to get it into the newspapers,  you are
>officially a good samaritan, and should feel good about that!

and now i am putting in my two cents' worth:

i am glad that you felt comfortable enough
with our list-family to share your disappointment
about the "less than successful outcome" in re your open letter

i am also glad that ken pointed out some of the positive,
and possibly un-looked for, outcomes of your efforts

and i will take to to task ever so gently
[dragging you by the ear] to review my message to you
dated 98/06/11:

> hi dennis
>
> wow
> you have written a powerful letter
>
> the idea of appealing to individual american citizens
> [via letters to the editor in us newspapers]
> rather than lobbying politicians
> is potentially
> the most powerful message we parkies could send
>
> not to detract from all the hard work done politically;
> this is just a different, and to my eyes, as yet untried, angle
>
> the ultimate democratic appeal via this miraculous medium
> to the citizens of the ultimate democracy?
>
> start up the presses!

i admit that at this point my editor persona got carried away a tad
and maybe muddied up the core intent of my message to you

i still think it's a brilliant idea
and that you have made a magnificent effort

stillborn? nah!
maybe just a newborn!

love

janet

a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
pwp event calendar: http://newww.com/cgi-bin/do_cal?c:pwpc
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson, eic, ccs