Group -

A few of you have asked how the other recipients of the "pig-cell" implants
are fairing.  The truth of the matter is that I don't really know.  Allow me
to explain.

Diacrin/Genzyme (the bio-medical company sponsoring this research project) has
been quite closed-mouth on the subject.  In fact, I've heard directly from
them only a couple of times; and then just from their PR department.  The word
I'm getting is that they do NOT want us to be talking amongst ourselves.  This
is understandable; the psychological ramifications are significant.

I have heard about one patient (older than me - I'm 50) who had the procedure
done about 36 months ago (I am at the 21st month).  He continues to show
improvement.  HOWEVER, this information, by itself, is of very little use.
For example, I do not know how severe his symptoms were before the surgery or
at what age they surfaced.  I was considered to be an "end case" and had been
under treatment for 16 or 17 years.  As you can see, there are too many other
factors that must be considered.

The good news is that there haven't been any adverse reactions associated with
the operation.

Jim Finn